Saturday, March 15, 2008

Meditations on Mary from a (potential) convert's perspective

Cheryl, who is considering converting to Catholicism, has a fascinating five-part series with her reflections on Mary and her role in the Christian life. I recommend taking the time to read each of the five posts -- I know they've given me a lot to think about. Here's one excerpt:

It's a simple matter of, "Come, enter into your Master's joy". Each of us has our own unique relationship with and toward Christ. We are not clones of Mary or of anyone else. But very few of us have thus far come to Christ on our own. It was other Christians who brought us to Holy Baptism and/or knowledge of Christ. We've received the Faith, because someone else fought to preserve it and hand it down etc. The relationship we each have with Christ although unique has been formed with the cooperation of others. We learn about Christ, who He is, and we grow in greater intimacy with Him in part because of the relationship others have to Him. If Mary's relationship is the grandest of all, then look at the grace of going to Christ through Mary? [...]

By going to Christ through Mary, we are saying, "I will not attempt to reach Christ via the way I think is best, but I will go the way I am told. My life, my personhood, my affections and my will are completely at the disposal of Christ through Mary. It is those who already have a relationship who know the best way for me to enter into a similar relationship. What do I know of what I have yet to experience?"

There are a lot more thoughts on everything from the Doctrine of the Immaculate Conception to the Marian apparitions, all of which I found interesting.

No comments: