Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Our Father in multiple languages

This is neat.

I think it's interesting that the Latin version seems to say "forgive us our debts" (though I'm no Latin scholar, so I may be misunderstanding that). The concept of having debt forgiven makes that part really hit home, probably because it offers a concrete visual: how amazing would it be if some credit card company to whom you owed a huge amount of money called and told you that you no longer needed to pay it, that it's been taken care of. That's sort of like what God has done for us.

3 comments:

Literacy-chic said...

In Old English it was

forgyf us ure gyltas
swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum


The words currently translated as "trespasses" and "those who trespass against us" are related to our modern word "guilt." (I had to memorize it in my grad-level Old English course!) "Guiltiness" might be a good approximation of the Old English.

Literacy-chic said...

Incidently, Middle English:

and foryyue to vs oure dettis, as we foryyuen to oure dettouris;

Here's your reference to "debt"!

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Very interesting, thank you for telling me that.

I LOVE linguistics stuff.