Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Breastfeeding in public

Matthew at Catholic Dads had a good point from a while back that I've been meaning to highlight. He says to people who oppose breastfeeding in public:

If you would like my wife who is breastfeeding our baby to go to the bathroom so that our baby can eat, then why don't you have your wife or daughter with their low cut or midriff baring top join her with their meal? I could probably say the same thing about your son with his unkempt hair and shirt that has a phrase I don't want my eight year old to read.

I thought this was a great summary of how crazy our culture's ideas about what is and is not offensive are.

via Catholic Pillow Fight

1 comment:

Whimsy said...

Whenever the topic of criminalizing breastfeeding in public comes up, there is always the well-meaning BF vet who says we all need to go out and BF to show the world how it can be done discreetly.

I say the law should exist to protect the weak; the new mom who is self-conscious and has a newborn who doesn't know what the heck s/he is doing -- who must fumble around and not necessarily able to be discreet. The vets don't need as much protecting as the neophytes.