Sunday, May 4, 2008

Story of the "Hand of Hope" Photograph

This is an amazing story about that famous photo of the 21-week-old baby's hand holding the doctor's hand as he performed in-utero surgery [warning: incredible but graphic photo from the surgery at that link]. An excerpt:

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the uterus shake, but no one's hands were near it. It was shaking from within. Suddenly, an entire arm thrust out of the opening, then pulled back until just a little hand was showing. The doctor reached over and lifted the hand, which reacted and squeezed the doctor's finger. As if testing for strength, the doctor shook the tiny fist. Samuel held firm. I took the picture! Wow! It happened so fast that the nurse standing next to me asked, "What happened?" "The child reached out," I said. "Oh. They do that all the time," she responded.

Read the rest here. Also, here's a nice article with an update about how the little boy is doing today.

No comments: