Saturday, September 27, 2008

A horrifying thank-you note story

This is supposed to be a post with tips about writing thank-you notes, but I got stuck on this part:

I watched as my brand new husband ripped the wrapping paper off a gift from his friends. The box showed a picture of ugly candles. Ugh. I didn't want those in our new home, but I also didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. When I penned the thank-you note, I gushed over how wonderful the candles were and we really enjoyed them. A few weeks later, a letter arrived. It said, "We're glad you like the box we used to wrap your gifts, but you should probably open it." With dread in our stomachs, my husband pulled the box down from a shelf in the basement and I watched in disbelief as he pulled out many smaller gifts including the bread basket I had hoped to receive, some tools, and other various fun gifts.

Totally something that would happen to me.

via Rocks in My Dryer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did this!!! I sort of had an excuse though: we lost the home my husband and I were supposed to move into after our wedding in a natural disaster and were homeless for several months. We opened our wedding gifts and sent thank-you cards, but left everything in the boxes so it would be easier to move (which we had to do several times in a short period of time). I didn't realize until 6 months later when we moved into permanent housing what we had done!

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

Wow, Joanne, I am so impressed that you sent the notes at all under those circumstances!!