Friday, April 22, 2011

I Scream Therefore I Am

Some excellent thoughts on suffering:

But it seems to me that suffering (rather than proving that there is nothing) actually proves that there is everything--including a good God. The turning point is this question: if there is nothing but a meaningless void, then why do we think suffering is bad? Well, we think suffering is bad because it hurts. When I burn my hand on the stove it hurts. But if the cynical nihilist is right, we should be matter of fact about it and say, "Putting your hand on the stove hurts because if you left your hand there it would burn up and so you have nerve endings which give you negative sensations so that you will remove the hand and not burn it up. Pain is therefore a simple biological response of self preservation. So what. Why make such a big deal about it. It's not nice, but that's life. Bummer. Bad stuff happens. Accept it and move on."

Read the rest here.

No comments: