Wednesday, October 14, 2009

You're hanging out with your kids...but are you really present?

Some good, challenging thoughts. An excerpt:

According to Ms. Brody, too many parents today are literally ignoring their infant and toddler-aged children, even though they may be walking or standing right beside them. How?

She reports seeing mothers and nannies all over her neighborhood tuning into their cell phones, Blackberrys and iPods. Though they might be technically spending "time" with their children, they're clearly distracted -- and missing out on a golden opportunity to nurture and invest in the young lives of those they love.

Read the rest here.

1 comment:

Sheila @ The Deliberate Reader said...

I read this while holding my three month old on my lap. So, yeah.

I think what I struggle with is *how much* to do all those wonderful things to engage with my son. As an extreme introvert, I'm finding that I need to intentionally disengage from him briefly now & then for my own sanity. So I end up surfing the internet while holding him instead of talking to him or reading to him or all those other things. But then I still feel guilty about it...

I'm not sure how to balance it.