Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Skepticism and faith

Amy Welborn's post called Yes is wonderful for so many reasons, but one of them is her eloquent description of how someone can both have faith yet feel skeptical sometimes:

It was sort of a joke between us - him calling me to task for my skepticism, for my overthinking. A skepticism which is not a desire that these things be false or a seeking to disprove, but a yearning for definitiveness, for the experience of certainty that touches more than my intellect. I have experienced this certainty at times - rare times - but I will freely admit that while I actually find the intellectual claims of theism and Christianity convincing, something always still nags. A hunger, I suppose, for a full embrace of Love.

Read the rest here.

1 comment:

Crowhill said...

It is a very hard question. How does faith co-exist with a desire for proof or certainty? Is it rational to believe things that cannot be proven or disproven (e.g., that Jesus is present in the Eucharist)? If faith is a supernatural gift that makes the arguments and evidence persuasive, how is that any different from credulity?